12. to emboss (an image, design, letters, or the like) on paper or fabric.
13. to shop for or collect antiques: She spent her vacation antiquing in Boston.
|1969 - Ford Mustang|
I tend to lean toward the car analogy. Most pieces of antique furniture aren't plugged in, are not electronic and we don't interact with them in the way we do a video game console. Cars on the other hand are physically used (and sometimes abused), have many many moving parts and for the most part, do have some sort of electronic component. This is all open to discussion, which is, of course, the point of this blog. Using the car as our benchmark, then I would say any video game system that is older than 25 years old is considered an antique.
Let's time travel...
So, 25 years ago puts us at 1985. Let's see what was happening in 1985.
- Ronald Reagan was in his second term as President of the USA
- Gorbachev becomes the leader of the Soviet Union
- TWA flight 847 was hijacked
- Academy Award for Best Picture "Out of Africa"
- Grammy Award for Record of the Year "We Are the World"...USA for Africa
- Top Selling Movies in the USA: Back to the Future, Beverly Hills Cop, Rambo
- Super Bowl Winner:San Francisco 49ers
- World Series Winner: Kansas City Royal
Seem like a long time ago? I mean really...the Kansas City Royals were World Series Champions!
|NES - Released in 1985|
There are few industries that have products that become out dated more quickly than the electronics industry. When was the last time you used a VHS? Are you already upgrading your DVDs to Blueray? How about your desktop computer...do you even have one anymore? Have you replaced it with a smaller and more powerful laptop?
With all of this in mind, I don't think it is wrong to call some consoles antiques. I also think that 25 years is more than enough time, and I'm sure some may argue that 25 years for consoles is too much time.
Let's take a look at the release dates of our most favorite consoles and see where they stack up when labeling them as antiques or not.
Obviously there are a number which fit right into the "Antique" category:
|NEC TurboGrafx 16 - Released in 1989|